Update (04/07/4014): I just came across the Soups with SS event being hosted by Sonal and Shruti through the delicious soupe au pistou post of Angie. I wanted to share the only soup recipe that I have posted on my blog to-date. It is a simple vegetable soup.
Today’s recipe is my mother’s recipe for her favourite soup which she makes almost on a weekly basis at home.
Time taken: 40 mins
- Mysore dhal – ½ cup
- Carrot – ½ cup, chopped
- Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
- Potato – 1, small and chopped
- Beans – ¼ cup, chopped
- Leeks – ¼ cup, chopped
- Celery – piece (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garlic flakes – a big pinch
- Vegetable cube – 1 (optional)
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Water – 4 cups
- Clean and chop the vegetables and place them in a soup pot/ pan.
- Add 4 cups of water and cook the soup for about 20 mins.
- Remove from stove and let the soup cool a little.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and blend. Return the blended soup to the soup pot.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and garlic flakes to the soup pot. Mix well. A vegetable cube can also be added, if you like. Cook for few mins and warm up the soup.
- Just before serving, add some optional lime juice.
- Serve with toasted bread.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.