Update (02/07/2014): As I wished to send in a dish to the first virtual vegan linky party initiated by Annie, Poppy and Angela, I decided to send in an old recipe that I had shared on my blog in its early days. So, I am sharing this chutney under the side dish category for the potluck.
The chutney recipe for today is ambarella (spondias dulcis) chutney. Ambarella is said to be good for people with diabetes.
Time taken: 15 – 20 mins
- Ambarella – 3
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Peel the three ambarellas. Chop up the ambarella into 5 or 6 pieces each and put them in a pan. The middle portion is difficult to remove or chop up so it can be left as it is and included in the pan.
- Add 1 cup of water or just enough to cover the ambarella pieces.
- Add a piece of cinnamon and some salt, to taste, to the pan. Cover and cook for about 10 mins.
- If the water has completely dried up, add ½ cup of water.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp crushed chillies to the pan.
- Increase heat and cook for some minutes till the chutney comes together and it is no longer watery but rather a thick sauce-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.