Last week, my mother decided to bake her special vegan christmas cake. While I was initially planning to share this recipe on the 25th, I am sharing it ahead at my mother’s request. It is a delightful cake and I am sure you will enjoy it, if you do try it.
Makes 20 slices
- Dates – 1 cup, chopped
- Raisins – ½ cup
- Cashewnuts – ¼ cup
- Almonds – ¼ cup, chopped
- Caramelized peanuts – ½ cup
- Cherry – ¼ cup, chopped
- Chow chow (choko) – ½ cup, chopped
- Ginger preserve – 1 tbsp
- Puhul dosi (pumpkin preserve) – ¼ cup, chopped
- Lemon rind – 1 tsp
- Orange peel preserve – 1 tbsp
- Mixed peel – ½ cup
- Coconut treacle – 4 tbsp
- Caramel syrup – ¼ cup
- Almond oil – 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – ¼ cup
- Mixed spice (Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves) – 2 tsp
- Thick tea – 1 tbsp
- Semolina – ½ cup
- Flour – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 2/3 tsp
- Rose essence – ¼ tsp
- Chop all the ingredients mentioned above (dates, raisins, cashewnuts, peanuts, almonds, chow chow, lemon rind, orange peel preserve, mixed peel, ginger preserve, cherries and puhul dosi/ pumpkin preserve) and mix together in a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the liquids stirring them in as you do so. Add the honey, caramel syrup and thick tea and let it soak for about ½ hour.
- Mix well before adding the vegetable oil and almond oil. Add the rose essence and cinnamon, cardamom and clove mixed spice to the bowl.
- Gradually stir in the semolina.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and soda and add the flour mix to the bowl.
- Whisk the contents of the bowl together so that there are no flour lumps anywhere.
- Transfer the cake batter to the baking tray and bake at 120⁰C/248⁰F for 1 to 1 ½ hour till the cake is browned at the top and the cake is baked through.
- After the cake cools, cut the cake into pieces and wrap the pieces into Christmas wrappings.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.