We had a spell of unbearably warm weather the last couple of months here in sunny Colombo. It’s just this week that the dry spell has been broken with rain showers. Cooling salads became a regular part of our meals during the last several weeks so I felt like sharing a salad post this week. A simple, colourful and cooling salad.
Instead of the usual music videos that I share with my food posts, this week, I am extending a special invitation to you to join Fiesta Friday. I am delighted to co-host Angie‘s Fiesta Friday #119 with Diann@Of Goats and Greens. Fiesta Friday is a linky party initiated by Angie, the Novice Gardener. The fiesta is a congenial place to share your post of the week, usually food posts, and interact with the other party-goers by checking out their party submissions and commenting. Everyone is welcome to bring their post of the week to the party and check out the link party guidelines, if it is your first time. Click on the image below to join the party 🙂
Hope you enjoy the salad as well as join in the fiesta! 🙂
- Carrot – 1, medium
- Beetroot – ½
- Onion – ½
- Grated/ scraped coconut, fresh – ½ cup
- Green chillies – 2 or 3
- Gotu kola (scientific name: Centella Asiatica) – ½ cup
- Tomato – 1
- Cucumber – 1
- Lime – 1
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly fry the chopped onion and chillies in a frying pan. Add the grated coconut and gotu kola leaves to the pan and stir fry for 2 – 3 mins.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a food processor and process it.
- Add the juice of half a lime and salt, to taste, to the ground gotukola mix.
- Clean and grate the carrot and beetroot separately.
- Divide the juice of the remaining half of the lime between the grated carrot and beetroot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the salad on a plate with the green gotu kola mix in the center surrounded by the grated carrot and beetroot.
- Add the sliced cucumber and tomato to the salad plate.
- Enjoy the cooling salad on its own or with a little rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.