I hope 2016 has started out well for all of you.. Wishing you a peaceful year!
My recipe for today is a curry that my mother rarely cooks at home. However, it is quite popular in the south and west of Sri Lanka. Breadfruit is said to have been introduced to Sri Lanka from south-east Asia by the Dutch. Since a friend of my mother’s brought her a breadfruit from their garden, my mother has made a few breadfruit dishes which I have enjoyed.
So, for today, I am sharing my mother’s recipe for breadfruit curry.
- Breadfruit – 1 cup, chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 2 tsp, chopped
- Curry leaves
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Boil the chopped and cleaned breadfruit pieces for around 10 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Lightly fry the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, chopped onion and curry leaves in 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the boiled breadfruit pieces to the pan and stir for about 2-3 mins.
- Add the milk, curry powder and salt. Mix well before covering the pan.
- Cook for around 10 mins over medium heat.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.