This week’s recipe is from Trevor Martil, who shares another of his mother’s favourite recipes – a dessert she named ‘surprise delight.’ I am bringing this recipe together with some lovely songs, from a country I visited three years ago, to Fiesta Friday.
While there were several highlights of my trip, the most inspiring was the visit to Robben Island. And yes, I was also introduced to some south African music while there. Today’s music features some of the South African music that I enjoyed starting with Mama Afrika – Miriam Makeba.
The other clip for today is from the Soweto Gospel Choir.
Hope you enjoyed the music and do send me your feedback if you try out the recipe given below! 🙂
- 2 tablespoons low sugar mixed fruit jam
- 1 1/2 cups mixed fruit cordial
- 1 can cocktail fruits
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- 2 cups cake crumbs
- 60g cashew nuts
- 60g sugar
- 3 dessertspoons corn flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons gelatin or agar-agar
- 1 packet strawberry jelly (jelly, 2 cups water, 15g china moss)
- Mix cake crumbs with mixed fruit jam, cashew nuts and press into shallow dish. Leave to set.
- Add cordial, water, corn flour, gelatin to a pan and cook till it thickens.
- Take off heat, add condensed milk and stiffly beat in egg whites.
- Mash mixed fruits, spread over cake crumbs.
- Pour the cordial custard over it.
- Make the jelly.
- Once set, chop the jelly and spread it over the custard.
- Sprinkle nuts.
- Chill and serve.
Recipe source: Trevor Martil.