I also felt like sharing some lovely Hindi movie music today from movies released within this decade but set in decades past. The first clip is from V.V.Chopra’s movie Parineeta (translation: The married woman, 2005), an adaptation of a 1914 Bengali novella starring Vidya Balan and Saif Ali Khan. The music was composed by Shantanu Moitra and the playback singers of this song are Sonu Nigam and Shreyal Ghoshal.
The second clip is from Anurag Basu’s movie Barfi! (2012), starring Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra and Ileana D’Cruz. Set in the 70s, the music was composed by Pritam and this particular song has been sung by Shafqat Amanat Ali.
The last clip is from V.Motwane’s movie Lootera (translation: Robber, 2013), set in the 50s and based on O.Henry’s 1907 short story ‘The last leaf,’ starring Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha. The music for this song has been composed and sung by Amit Trivedi.
Hope you enjoyed the lovely songs and do let me know if you try out this recipe!
Chicken with Broccoli and Spinach
- 1 chicken breast
- 150g broccoli
- 100g spinach leaves
- ginger paste and garlic paste (Trevor’s mother prefers using the Sri Lankan MD brand)
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (Again, Trevor’s mother has mentioned the MD brand)
- oil, for tempering
- chili powder
- cumin seeds
- fresh ginger and garlic, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Grind the cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and 50g spinach leaves to a paste. Keep aside.
- Cut chicken into large pieces, marinate in ginger and garlic paste and sauce for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cook in own juice.
- Add oil and stir-fry, adding the chopped onions.
- Add ground ingredients, the remaining spinach and the broccoli.
- Add 1/2 cup milk together with chili powder and turmeric as per your taste. Allow to simmer.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Recipe source: Trevor Martil.