I had tried to get hold of some of the Sri Lankan Burgher cuisine recipes for some time now. While some of the dishes such as lamprais, frikkadels and some kinds of specialty cakes around Christmas time are very popular and are recreated by cafes and bakeries around the country, I was more interested in the home-cooking of Burgher families. Besides Refinceyaa who shared her aunt’s recipe for capsicum with eggs on this blog, I had also asked Trevor Martil who is another of my former colleagues. He recently sent me some of his mother’s favourite recipes. Today’s recipe is one such dish, which Trevor’s mother calls ‘savoury rice with a difference.’ This rice recipe (providing both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options) is what I am sharing at Fiesta Friday together with some special music clips.
The special song clip for today is a rendition, by Amitabh Bachchan, of renowned poet and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore’s beautiful Bengali poem Ekla Cholo Re written in 1905. This song is from Sujoy Ghosh’s acclaimed Hindi movie Kahaani (translation: Story, 2012) starring Vidya Balan. Translation of the lyrics can be found on Wikipedia.
The next song clip is from Aamir Khan’s talk show Satyamev Jayate (translation: Truth alone prevails). Composed by Ram Sampath for the lyrics written by Swanand Kirkire, Meenal Jain sings the beautiful Hindi song ‘Sakhi’ at the end of the episode on domestic violence. I think I must have watched all the episodes of the first season in 2012.
Hope you enjoyed the songs and do let me know if you tried out the recipe today!
- 250g cooked rice
- 150g chicken (vegetarians can substitute this with tofu or mushroom)
- 1 red pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 capsicum chili
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (Trevor’s mother prefers to use Sri Lankan MD brand)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chili powder
- ginger paste and garlic paste (Again, Trevor’s mother prefers the ready-made MD brand)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 30g green peas
- 2 eggs
- cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise
- curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (vegetarians can substitute this with vegetable stock)
- coriander leaves
- Temper spices, star anise, onions, curry leaves.
- Add cooked rice, 1/4 cup milk, turmeric. Allow to simmer.
- Add green peas, eggs and stir in a tablespoon of butter.
- Serve and keep aside.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, marinate in soya sauce, and place in a pan.
- Cook till water is absorbed.
- Add oil and stir-fry adding all vegetables, onions, ginger, garlic sauces and 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Cook and take off heat with gravy.
- Pour over rice.
- Sprinkle parsley and coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Recipe source: Trevor Martil