The rice dish for today is lime rice.
The featured musician today is Ravibandhu Vidyapathi, who is one of Sri Lanka’s leading percussionists as well as a classical Kandyan dancer and choreographer. He founded the dance school ‘Ravibandhu-Samanthi Narthanayanathaya’ with his wife.
I like his drum ensemble and have selected a clip from his album ‘Bahu Ranga‘ to share here.
Time taken: 20 mins
Serves 2 – 3
- Rice – 1 cup
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Lime or lemon juice – 1 or 2 tbsp
- Onion – ½, chopped
- Dried red chillies – 1 or 2, as per taste
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Green peas – 2 tbsp, boiled
- Salt, to taste
- Sesame/ Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Boil the rice after adding turmeric and salt.
- Once the rice is boiled and slightly cooled, add the lime juice and mix well. Keep aside to let the rice absorb the lime juice.
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan and lightly fry the chopped onion, chillies and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the lime marinated rice to the pan and stir fry for 5 mins. Add boiled green peas, if required.
- Serve warm.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.