Today is a very special day at my home. It is my mother’s birthday.
The recipe I am sharing today is a special treat from Jaffna that my mother made earlier this week. This dish is a special breakfast or dessert dish from north Sri Lanka and made from rasavalli kilangu or purple yam (dioscorea alata).
Rasavalli Kilangu Kool/ Purple Yam Porridge
Time taken: 20 mins
- Rasavalli kilanku/ purple yam – 1 small
- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 or 3 tbsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Clean and peel the yam and then chop it up roughly.
- Cook the yam with 3 cups of water. Once the water dries up, lightly mash the boiled yam.
- Add 1 cup of thin coconut milk.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt to the porridge.
- Let the porridge simmer till the liquid thickens.
- Serve warm.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.