Today’s recipe is one of my mother’s quick and easy to prepare, delicious stir-fried dishes made with onion stalks and flowers/ vengaya poo.
Vengaya Poo Varai
Time taken: 25 mins
- Spring onion stalk and flower/ Vengaya poo – 1 cup, chopped
- Carrot – ½ cup, chopped
- Onion – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Fennel – ½ tsp
- Crushed red chillies – 1 tsp
- Gingelly/ Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Clean the onion stalks and carrot and chop them into small pieces. Add some salt and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the fennel seeds, chopped onion and green chilli. Fry for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped and salted onion stalks + flowers and carrots to the pan. Add 1 tsp crushed chilli and mix well.
- Cook for around 10 mins over low heat.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.