Today’s recipe is that of a papaya curry recipe. While papaya is used in pickles or acharu here, a curry is not so common but my mother likes experimenting with her curries and this turned out delicious. This is also the dish I am sharing for Angie’s Fiesta Friday #2.
Time taken: 20 mins
- Papaya, half-ripe – 1 cup, chopped
- Onion – ½
- Capsicum/ Malu miris – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves and Cinnamon – 1 tsp, crushed powder
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Lime – 1 ½
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and lightly fry the chopped onion, malu miris and fennel seeds for 2 minutes.
- Then, add the chopped papaya, crushed chillies and the crushed cloves and cinnamon powder to the pan, together with ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze and add the juice from 1 ½ limes and the sugar to the pan. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes. Add a little water if the liquid dries up before that.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.