A Taste of Sri Lankan Cuisine’s contribution to the event is this snack recipe of my mother’s – chickpea fritters, which is a very popular snack both in Sri Lanka and India.
Time taken: 30 mins + 3 hours (soaking time)
- Split chickpea/ kadalai paruppu – ½ cup
- Chickpea flour – ½ cup
- Wheat flour – ¼ cup (optional)
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Crushed chillies – 1 to 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Carom/ Omam seeds – ½ tsp
- Low fat oil, for deep-frying
- Soak the chickpea for about 3 hours.
- Then, coarsely grind it, i.e. do not grind it to a puree or flour but rather half-grind it so that there are smaller bits of chickpea. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and make the fritter dough.
- Heat the oil in a pan until it sizzles.
- Pinch off a little dough at a time and drop it in the pan. Fry till the fritters are golden brown.
- Serve with tea.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.