Another garlic curry recipe of my mother, this time with shallots. For another version of a garlic curry, do check out the earlier post of the beetroot and garlic curry recipe.
Garlic and Shallot Curry
Time taken: 20 mins
- Garlic – ¼ cup
- Shallots – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind extract – ½ cup
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut milk – ¼ cup
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean the garlic and shallots.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the fenugreek seeds. Then, add the shallots and fry for a couple of minutes, before adding the garlic and frying further for a few minutes.
- Add the tamarind juice, curry powder and salt to taste to the pan. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and sugar to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, until gravy thickens and a nice aroma wafts about.
- Serve warm with rice or pittu or stringhoppers.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.