Wishing everyone a happy New Year! To start the Year on a sweet note, today’s recipe is that of steamed rice cakes.
Steamed rice cake
Time taken: 30 mins + 2 hours (for soaking)
Makes 6 cakes
- Rice – ½ cup
- Urad dhal/ black gram flour – 2 tbsp, roasted
- Coconut – 2 tbsp, freshly scraped
- Sugar – 1 ½ tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Food colouring/ essence – optional
- Soak the rice in water for about 2 hours and then grind it to make a batter.
- Add the roasted urad dhal flour, scraped coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt to the batter. Mix well.
- If you would like your steamed cakes in different colours, divide the batter into separate bowls. Add the different food colours to each of the bowl. Here, my mother used green and red.
- Steam the batter for about 10 – 15 mins.
- Serve warm with tea. You could serve some honey or jam on the side, should you like it more sweeter.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.