Today’s recipe is that of one of my mother’s curries.
Butternut squash and Dhal Curry
Time taken: 40 mins
Serves 4 to 5
- Butternut squash – ½ cup
- Mysore dhal – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 1
- Onion – ½
- Capsicum – 1
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Low fat oil – 2 tbsp
- Boil the mysore dhal and chopped butternut squash, adding one cup of water to a saucepan, over medium heat. Cook till the water dries up.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion and capsicum, adding the cumin powder, pepper, chilli powder and curry leaves.
- After a couple of mins, add the chopped tomato to the pan and ¼ cup of water.
- Transfer the cooked dhal and butternut squash to the pan and season with salt and turmeric powder. Cook for about 5 to 10 mins.
- Serve the butternut squash and dhal curry with rice or roti.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.