Roti with sambal has always been one of my comfort foods. Today’s recipe is one of my mother’s new versions of vegetable roti – this time, with beetroot.
Time taken: 40 mins
- Beetroot – ½ cup, grated
- All-purpose flour -1 cup
- Onion – ½ , chopped
- Green chillies – 1 or 2, chopped
- Coconut – 1 tbsp, scraped
- Salt – as required
- Low fat oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat the grated beetroot with ¼ cup of water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Cook the beetroot till the water dries up.
- After the cooked beetroot has cooled, add the flour, chopped onion, chillies, scraped coconut, salt and oil to the grated beetroot.
- Mix well and stir in water to make the roti dough. Divide the roti dough into 4 balls.
- Let the balls of dough rest for about 15 mins before rolling out the dough balls to make a flattened roti disk.
- Cook each of the roti on a griddle, with 3-4 mins on each side.
- Serve the beetroot roti with red chilli sambal.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.