Today’s lovely recipe is my mother’s recipe for mango kesari/ halwa. Great with a cup of tea or coffee.
Time taken: 20 mins
- Mango – ½ cup, chopped
- Orange juice – 1 tbsp
- Mint – 2 or 3 leaves
- Sugar – 1 tsp (for juice) + 1 tbsp
- Salt – a little
- Semolina – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil margarine – 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Yellow food colouring – ½ tsp (optional)
- Nuts (your choice) – optional
- Make 1 cup of mango juice by blending the chopped mango, orange juice, mint leaves, 1 tsp of sugar and pinch of salt with water.
- Heat the juice in a saucepan with a tbsp of sugar for about 2 mins. Add the vanilla and semolina. Continue stirring until it thickens.
- Add 1 tsp of margarine and the optional yellow food colour and nuts. Mix well before transferring to a tray or mold so that it can set.
- Serve warm with tea or after a meal.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.