Today’s recipe is a simple and tasty okra dish. For a slightly different version, try okra stir fry.
Vendikkai Varai/ Okra fry
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves 3 – 4
- Okra/ Vendikkai – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Malu miris/ banana pepper – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean the okra and finely chop them. Add some lime juice and salt to the okra and keep aside.
- Finely chop the onion, malu miris and curry leaves and fry them for about 5 mins in a tbsp of sesame oil.
- Add the finely chopped and seasoned okra slices to the frying pan and continue frying for about 10 mins over medium heat.
- Towards the end, add salt and pepper and optionally crushed chillies.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.