A lovely cake in my mother’s fruit cake series… this weekend, it is a pineapple cake.
Time taken: 1 ½ hours
Serves 8 – 10
- Pineapple – 1 cup, chopped
- Sugar – ½ cup + pinch
- Oats – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Vegetable margarine – ½ cup
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Pineapple essence or yellow food colouring – ½ tsp
- Cook the chopped pineapple with a little sugar in ½ cup of water till the liquid dries up. After the cooked pineapple has cooled, transfer the fruit to a blender and process the fruit.
- Whisk the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ground pineapple and ½ cup of water to the mixing bowl, together with the vanilla essence and pineapple essence or yellow food colour. Stir in the oats. Mix well.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder and baking soda. Fold in the flour into the cake mixture.
- Transfer the pineapple cake batter to the baking tray and bake at 170⁰C/ 338⁰F for 30 – 45 mins.
- Enjoy a slice of the pineapple cake with some coffee. If possible, do try some of Hansa Ceylon coffee‘s house blend of robusta and arabica beans or dark arabica, my favoured blends of Sri Lanka’s specialty coffee.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.