Today’s recipe is a snack made from soya beans – a crunchy soya bean vadai.
Soya bean Vadai
Time taken: 15 – 20 mins (using pre-cooked soya beans)
Makes 6 or 7
- Soya beans – ½ cup, boiled
- All-purpose flour – ½ cup
- Onion – ½, chopped
- Crushed chillies – 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Low fat oil, for deep-frying
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl to prepare the ‘vadai’ dough. Divide the dough into small balls, around 6 or 7. Flatten each slightly.
- Heat the oil in a pan. When the oil is ready for frying, drop the ‘vadai’ in batches into the heated oil and deep fry them until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Serve warm with some Sri Lankan tea.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.