While soya bean is not so commonly cooked at home, we had some leftover soya beans from one of my cooking experiments. My mother therefore decided to cook up a few soya bean dishes over the week.
So, the key ingredient of the recipes on this blog for the next few days will be soya beans.
Soya bean Crumble
Time taken: 45 mins + soaking time (overnight)
- Soyabeans – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Red chilli – 1
- Green chilli – 1
- Onion – ½
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Scraped coconut – 1 tbsp
- Low fat oil – 2 tbsp
- Soak the soya beans overnight and then rinse and cook the beans with water for 30 mins.
- Drain and grind the cooked soya beans in a blender for about 2 mins.
- Transfer the ground soya beans to a mixing bowl and add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, to taste. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and lightly fry the chopped onion, chillies, curry leaves and fennel seeds for a minute.
- Add the seasoned, ground soya bean mixture to the pan and stir fry for about 5 – 10 mins.
- Add the scraped coconut. Mix well and cook for about 2 mins.
- Serve the soya bean crumble with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.