Today is the Virtual Vegan Potluck! I had come across this post recently, and as one who generally enjoys potlucks, decided to join a virtual one after a quick chat with my mother who has contributed more than 90% of the recipes on this blog to-date. So today’s recipe is an ash plantain and carrot with beetroot sauce recipe that my mother concocted, given that I had mentioned beets was the featured ingredient.
Time taken: 35 – 40 mins
- Ash plantain – 1
- Beetroot – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Ginger – 1 tsp, chopped
- Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves, chopped
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Onion – ¼, chopped
- Sesame/ Gingelly oil – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Wash the three vegetables, without peeling them.
- Boil the ash plantain and beetroot for about 15 mins.
- After boiling, peel the ash plantain and beetroot separately.
- If you prefer the carrot to be boiled or steamed, you will need to do so separately. Else, simply peel the cleaned, fresh carrot and slice thinly and arrange in a serving dish.
- Slice the boiled and peeled ash plantain and layer the slices around the carrot in the serving dish. Sprinkle with salt.
- Peel the beetroot and chop it up.
- Heat a tsp oil and fry the chopped ginger, garlic, chilli and onion lightly.
- Transfer the lightly fried ingredients to the blender together with the chopped beetroot and salt, to taste, and blend to a puree/ sauce.
- Stir in a tbsp of sesame oil after blending.
- Pour the sauce over the dish with the ash plantain and carrot slices.
- Garnish with thin slices of chilli and serve.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.
For accessing the other blogs participating in the Virtual Vegan Potluck, press the ‘go back’ or ‘go forward’ buttons below.