Today’s recipe is one of my mother’s simple and delicious pumpkin recipes. The butternut squash is called the ‘Dubai pumpkin’ for some reason in the markets of Colombo.
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Butternut squash or regular pumpkin – ½ cup
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Onion – ½
- Green chilli – 1
- Ginger – 1”
- Garlic – 3 or 4 cloves
- Thin coconut milk – ½ cup
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel the butternut squash and chop it up into smaller chunks.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and fry the chopped ginger, garlic, green chilli and onion for a min or two.
- Add the chopped butternut squash and green peas to the pan and stir fry for a few mins.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan, as well as salt to taste, and cook for about 10 mins.
- Add the pepper, when the milk is about to dry up, and remove the pan from stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, chopped onion and tomato and serve warm with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.