The recipe of my mother’s that I am sharing today is a fusion of the south and north Sri Lankan cooking. Garlic curry is a specialty of the southern province of Sri Lanka and I hope to soon share the recipe of the dish that I had enjoyed during my several trips along the southern coast. In the meantime, my mother’s experimental cooking has fused her beetroot curry with garlic and has resulted in a quite pleasant, unique curry.
Beetroot and Garlic Curry
Time taken: 20 – 25 mins
- Beetroot – ½ cup, chopped
- Garlic – ¼ cup, peeled and sliced
- Onion – 2, chopped
- Coconut milk or water – ½ cup
- Tomato – ¼ cup, chopped
- Curry powder – ½ tsp or Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat a tbsp oil in a pan and fry the garlic and onion for a couple of mins.
- Add the chopped beetroot to the pan and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk or water and salt, to taste.
- Add the curry powder or chopped green chilli to the pan and cook for about 15 mins.
- When the liquid starts drying up, add the chopped tomato and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Serve warm with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.