Today’s recipe is my mother’s apple cake recipe.
Time taken: 1 hour
- Apple – 1 ½ , large
- Cinnamon – 2 large sticks
- Green food colouring – ½ tsp
- Lime – 1
- Vegetable margarine – ¼ cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Rose essence or Apple essence – few drops
- Peel the apples and chop them up. Place them in a sauce pan and add water so as to just cover the apple chunks.
- Add some green food colouring and 2 large cinnamon sticks to the pan. Cook the apples over low heat until the water dries up.
- After the apples have cooled sufficiently, remove the cinnamon sticks and transfer the cooked apples to a blender.
- Grind the cooked apples to a puree. Add the juice of 1 lime to the apple puree and mix.
- Whisk together the vegetable margarine and sugar. Add the blended apple and lime juice mix.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Gradually add the flour mix to the apple and margarine mix to make a smooth cake batter. Add a few drops of rose essence.
- Transfer to a baking tray and bake the apple cake at 170⁰C/338⁰F for 30 mins.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.