Today’s recipe is a traditional sweet from Jaffna called the “Ellu Pa.” This is a spiced sweet made of sesame seeds and it is one of my mother’s favourite.
The recipe I am sharing today is that of my great-grandmother, as remembered and occasionally made by my mother.
Time taken: 15 mins
- Sesame seeds/ Ellu – ½ cup
- Urad dhal/ black gram flour – ¼ cup, roasted
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- First, grind the sugar and sesame seeds together in a blender.
- Then, add the urad dhal flour and continue grinding the mixture.
- Transfer the blended flour mix to a mixing bowl.
- Add the pepper and cumin powder to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add a little hot water and make the ‘ellu pa’ dough. Divide the dough into 4 balls.
- Serve with tea.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.