Spicy Toor Dhal Gravy
Time taken: 35 mins
Serves 4 or 5
- Toor Dhal/ Thuvaram Paruppu – ½ cup
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Tamarind juice – ½ cup to 1 cup, as required
- Salt, to taste
- Garlic – 3 cloves, crushed
- Soak the dhal for about 10 mins. Rinse and drain the dhal and transfer to a saucepan.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the dhal and cook for about 10 to 15 mins, over medium heat.
- Reduce to low heat and add the five spice powders (chilli, cumin, coriander, pepper, turmeric).
- If the water has dried up, add 1 cup of tamarind extract. If there is some water still in the pan, reduce the amount of tamarind extract added accordingly.
- Add salt, to taste and mix well.
- Cook for another 10 mins. Adjust gravy consistency by adding more tamarind extract, if required.
- Add crushed garlic just before removing from stove. Mix well.
- Serve with rice or chappathi.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.