Today’s recipe is that of another from my mother’s fruit cake series – banana and apple cake.
Time taken: 1 hour
Serves 6 to 8
- Apple – 1
- Banana – 1
- Vegetable margarine – ¾ cup + 1 or 2 tbsp (for icing, optional)
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Semolina – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ¾ tsp
- Green food colouring – few drops
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Icing sugar – 4 or 5 tbsp, optional
- Lime juice – 1 or 2 tsp, optional
- Chop up the apple. Cook the chopped apple for about 10 mins, in a saucepan over low heat, adding some cinnamon powder. Stir regularly.
- Transfer the cooked apple pieces from the saucepan to a blender. Add the chopped banana. Coarsely blend. Keep aside.
- Add the margarine and sugar to the saucepan containing some of the apple sauce after the apple pieces had been transferred to the blender. Add up to ½ cup of water. Heat the contents for a few mins.
- After cooling, transfer the melted margarine and sugar to a mixing bowl. Stir in the blended fruits. Add the green food colouring and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda together. Gradually add in the flour mix to the mixing bowl until a smooth cake batter is obtained.
- Transfer to baking tray and bake for 30 mins at 170⁰C/338⁰F.
- If you would like icing on the cake, prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar with a tbsp of margarine, lime juice and a few drops of green food colouring.
- Spread the icing evenly over the cake before slicing and serving.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.