Today’s recipe is the banana flower curry/ vaalai poo curry.
Vaalai Poo Curry/ Banana Flower Curry
Time taken: 30 mins
- Vaalai poo/ banana flower – 1 cup, chopped
- Tomato – 1 large, chopped
- Capsicum – 1, chopped
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk or non-fat milk – ½ cup
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Clean and chop up the banana flower and add a little salt to it. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and chopped onion for a couple of mins.
- Add the chopped vaalai poo and chopped capsisum. Cover and fry for about 10 mins on low heat.
- Uncover the pan and add the chopped tomato, coconut milk and curry powder. Add some salt, to taste.
- Cook for about 5 mins until the curry has a nice gravy, before removing pan from stove.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.