Since there were still some fresh walnuts left at home, my mother decided to bake some of her heart healthy cookies. So, here’s the recipe for her raisins and walnut cookies.
Raisins and Walnuts cookies
Time taken: 35 mins
- Multi-purpose flour – 1 ¼ cups
- Oats – ½ cup
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Walnuts – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Vegetable margarine – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Milk or Water – ¼ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Heat the margarine and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and melt the margarine.
- Add ¼ cup of milk or water to the sauce pan and stir well.
- Remove from stove and cool.
- Add 1 tsp baking powder to the flour and oats. Mix.
- Add the flour and oats mix, vanilla essence, raisins and chopped walnuts to the slightly cooled melted margarine sauce. Mix well to ensure that the mixture comes together as cookie dough. Add a little more flour, if the batter is still slightly watery.
- Divide the dough into 22 balls and flatten slightly before placing on baking tray.
- Bake at 220⁰C/428⁰F for 20 mins.
- Cool before serving.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.