Today’s recipe is a sweet variant of the regular patties that my mother makes more often.
Chickpeas puff patties
Time taken: 1 ½ hours
- All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Vegetable margarine – 3 tbsp (for dough) + 1 tbsp (for filling)
- Salt, to taste
- Yeast – 1 tbsp
- Chickpeas – 1 cup, boiled
- Scraped coconut – ½ cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Cardamom – 1 tsp, crushed
- Low fat oil, for deep-frying
- Mix the flour, salt and margarine in a bowl.
- Add a little hot water to the yeast and add to the bowl. Mix well.
- Knead the mixture to form the dough and divide the dough into 12 balls. Cover and keep aside for an hour.
- Heat the sugar in a pan over low heat. After 1 min, add the freshly scraped coconut to the pan and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp of margarine and crushed cardamom to the pan. Mix well and stir fry for 1 – 2 mins.
- Add the boiled chickpeas to the pan and mix well. Remove pan from stove and let it cool.
- Coarsely grind the chickpeas mixture in a blender. Divide the ground chickpeas filling into 12 portions.
- Roll out the 12 balls of dough into circles. Scoop a portion of the chickpeas filling to the center of the circle. Fold the circular dough, by hand or using mold, into a half-moon shape over the filling.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. Fry the patties over low heat, 3 at a time, until golden brown.
- Transfer the patties to a tray with grease absorbing paper.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.