Today’s recipe is a slightly different version of vaalakkai varuval. I like ash plantains so I enjoy the different ways it is cooked, however slight the difference might be.
Vaalakkai Varuval/ Ash plantain fry version 2
Time taken: 30 mins
- Ash plantain – 2
- Dried red chillies – 1 or 2, chopped
- Shallots – 4 or 5 , chopped
- Garlic – 2 or 3, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped coriander – ½ or 1 tsp
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Boil ash plantain with skin. Remove peel and chop the boiled unripe fruit up.
- Add some salt and turmeric powder to the ash plantain pieces and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the fennel, chopped dried red chillies, shallots and garlic for a few mins, until the aroma of the fried onions and garlic comes out.
- Add the marinated, chopped pieces of ash plantain and curry leaves and cook for about 10 mins, until sufficiently cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or curry leaves.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.