Given that lots of people in my family have diabetes, my mother has taken to making her own sugar-free cookies or cookies with minimum sugar. Today’s recipe is her recipe for chocolate chip and cashew nut cookies.
Chocolate chip and cashew nut cookies
Time taken: 35 – 40 mins
- Oats – ½ cup
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Margarine – ½ cup
- Milk – ½ cup (dairy or coconut milk)
- Cashew nuts – ¼ cup, roasted and chopped
- Chocolate chips – ¼ cup
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Whisk the brown sugar and margarine till it is creamy and smooth.
- Add the oats to the creamed sugar and margarine and mix.
- Sift the wheat flour together with the baking powder and soda and add to the cookie mix.
- Add the milk gradually, kneading the cookie mix into a slightly batter-like dough, not too firm and easy to mold into little balls.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped cashew nuts.
- Divide the dough into little balls and leave them on the baking tray, for about 5 – 10 mins, before putting them in the oven.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 – 20 mins at 220⁰C/ 428⁰F.
- Remove the baking tray from oven when the cookies are golden brown and let them cool before serving.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.