Time taken: 1 – 1 ¼ hrs
Serves 20 to 25
- Condensed milk – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Vegetable oil margarine – 1 cup (250g) + ¼ cup (for icing)
- Sugar – 1 cup + ½ cup (for icing)
- Multi-purpose flour – 2 cups
- Semolina – ½ cup
- Cocoa powder – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (for icing)
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp + few drops (for icing)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Whisk the sugar and margarine in a bowl until creamy. Then, add the milk and continue whisking.
- Add the water and whisk till it is smooth and creamy.
- Sieve together the flour, semolina and cocoa powder. Add the baking powder and soda and mix.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients, mixing until there is a smooth batter.
- Transfer to cake tray and bake for about 45 mins – 1 hr at 170⁰C/340⁰F. Make sure you do not forget to check in around the 40 min mark (as my mother did this time) and take the cake out, without letting it over-bake else it will turn out too dry.
- Let the chocolate cake cool while preparing the chocolate icing.
- Mix 2 tbsp of cocoa powder with ½ cup of icing sugar in a bowl. The sugar can be reduced based on your tolerance level for sweets.
- Add the margarine little by little and whisk till the icing is creamy and smooth. Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Spread the chocolate icing evenly over the chocolate cake.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.