I have never really liked radish as I do not like its smell. However, occasionally, it is cooked at home and this is a recipe of my mother’s that makes eating radish tolerable for even those who dislike it. Radish is supposedly good for lowering cholesterol and fighting cancer.
Time taken: 15 – 20 mins
- Radish/ Mullangi – 1
- Onion – ¼, chopped
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp, roasted and ground
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder (optional)
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and peel the radish before chopping it into smaller pieces.
- Heat a tbsp. oil in a pan and sauté lightly the chopped onion and chilli.
- Then, add the chopped radish to the pan and mix well.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the pan and cook the radish for about 10 mins.
- If the water dries up, add another ½ cup of water.
- Add 1 tsp roasted and ground urad dhal and stir.
- Add pepper and optional turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes before removing from stove.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.