Today’s recipe is Vendhaya Kulambu/ Fenugreek curry, a Jaffna curry that is regularly made at home.
Time taken: 30 mins
Serves 3 or 4
- Onion – 1 cup, chopped
- Fenugreek seeds/ Vendhayam – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Tamarind juice extract – ½ cup
- Curry powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Low fat oil – 2 tbsp
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in water for about 10 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the soaked and drained fenugreek seeds for a couple of mins.
- Add the curry leaves and chopped onion to the pan, along with another tbsp of oil.
- Saute till the onion changes colour and the aroma of fried onions wafts about.
- Add ½ cup of tamarind juice and ½ cup of coconut milk along with the curry powder and salt to the pan. Mix well.
- Increase the heat and let the ‘kulambu’ cook for about 5 – 10 mins. Do not let it dry up.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of coconut milk and let it simmer for another 5 mins before removing from stove.
- Serve with pittu or rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.