Today’s Navarathri recipe for the third day of the Lakshmi ‘poosai’ is kadalaiparuppu vadai.
Time taken: 15 mins + 3 hours (soaking time)
- Chickpea/ kadalaiparuppu – ½ cup, split
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1, medium, ground or grated
- Curry leaves – sprig, finely chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Low fat oil, for deep frying
- Soak the de-skinned and split chickpea for about three hours. Drain.
- Keep aside 3 tbsp and then coarsely grind the remaining chickpea.
- Mix the coarsely ground chickpea and the 3 tbsp chickpea that had been kept aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the chickpea mixture and mix well.
- Divide the seasoned chickpea mixture into 6 balls.
- Heat the oil in a round-bottomed frying pan or wok.
- When the oil is ready, drop the chickpea balls into the sizzling oil.
- Fry for about two minutes each side, ensuring that each ‘vadai’ is lightly browned on all sides.
- Remove the ‘vadai’ from the pan and transfer to a plate lined with grease absorbing paper.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.