Today, I would like to share my mother’s recipe for the delicious lime pickles that she sometimes makes.
Time taken: around 15 days
Makes a jar
- Limes – 16
- Powdered salt
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Crushed chillies – 2 tsp (optional)
- Fenugreek – 1 tbsp
- Clean and quarter 5 or 6 limes or the number that can fill the pickle jar you are using.
- Fill or cover them with as much salt as you can and then put them in a clean jar or jam bottle. Cover the bottle and set aside for a day.
- Uncover the bottle the next morning and place under the sunlight during the day-time. Cover the bottle in the night. Repeat this process for around 7 to 10 days.
- After 7 or 10 days, squeeze the juice of about 10 limes. Add the turmeric powder, crushed fenugreek seeds and optional crushed chillies to the juice.
- Pour the juice mixed with the spices into the jar of sun-dried limes. The juice needs to cover the limes in the bottle so if you need to, squeeze some more lime juice into the bottle.
- Repeat the covering and uncovering process under sunlight for another 5 days.
- At the end of around 15 days, the lime pickle is ready to be eaten.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.