This dish is considered a highly nutritious dish and is particularly made for those recovering from a serious illness or childbirth and who need to eat a diet with more calcium content.
This is my grandmother’s recipe as remembered by my mother. Sorry that I do not have an accompanying photo for it as my parents have been vegetarians for nearly 15 years now.
Time taken: 15 mins
- Nethali/ Anchovies – 1 cup
- Tamarind extract – 1 ½ cup
- Onion – ½
- Green chillies – 2
- Crushed chillies – 1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Clean the nethali.
- Place all the ingredients except oil – the cleaned nethali, chopped onion and chillies, tamarind extract, crushed chillies and salt to taste – in a pan.
- Cook on low heat, for around 15 mins, till the gravy thickens.
- Drizzle some oil on the edges of the curry before removing the pan from stove.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.