The second recipe I would like to share today is my mother’s recipe for her version of date chutney. She is particularly fond of the unique flavour arising from the chilli infused date sauce.
Time taken: 10 mins
Serves 3 – 4
- Dates – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tsp
- Water – 4 tbsp
- Crushed chillies – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Mixed 3C (cinnamon, cardamom, clove) powder – ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Salt – pinch
- Heat the jaggery, brown sugar and water in a sauce pan, on low heat, stirring continuously for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Stir in ½ tsp crushed chillies and ¼ tsp cumin powder and cook for a minute.
- Add the mixed 3C powder to the pan and let the sauce simmer for a minute.
- When the sauce starts to boil and bubble, add the sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Add the chopped dates and continue to let the sauce simmer on low heat for a few minutes till the sauce thickens and the liquid starts drying up.
- Season with a pinch of salt before removing from heat.
- The chutney can be kept for several days in an airtight container.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.