I generally like my mother’s chocolate cakes a lot. Recently, she tried out a nutty vegan version of her chocolate cake which came out really delicious. Here is my mother’s recipe for the yummy cake.
Peanut Chocolate Cake
Time taken: 50 mins
Serves 8 to 10
- Vegetable oil margarine – ¾ cup + 1 tbsp (for frosting)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Banana – ½ , as an egg substitute
- Wheat flour – 1 ½ cup
- Soya milk – 1 cup
- Peanut – ½ cup, coarsely ground + 2 tbsp (for frosting)
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (for frosting)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Icing sugar – 2 tbsp, for frosting
- Sift the dry ingredients – the wheat flour together with the cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda – and keep aside.
- Mash the banana in a bowl. Add the margarine and sugar to the bowl and whisk them together.
- Gradually add the soya milk and continue whisking.
- Stir in the coarsely ground peanuts and vanilla essence.
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased tray and bake at 190⁰C/374⁰F for 40 mins.
- Whisk 1 tbsp margarine together with 1 tsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp icing sugar and 2 tsp ground nuts to make the frosting.
- Spread evenly on surface of the peanut chocolate cake, after the cake has sufficiently cooled.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.