The other recipe for today is also a bitter gourd recipe of my mother’s.
Bitter gourd fry
Time taken: 20 mins
Serves 1 or 2
- Bitter gourd – ½ cup, chopped
- Carrot – ¼ cup, chopped
- Onion – ¼, chopped
- Green chilli – ½, chopped
- Capsicum or Malu miris – ½, chopped
- Tomato – ½, sliced
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Crushed chillies – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Low fat oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Add some salt to the bowl of chopped bitter gourd and carrot pieces and keep aside for about 5 mins.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a pan and fry the fennel seeds.
- Add the curry leaves as the seeds start to splutter and immediately add the chopped onions, green chilli and capsicum or malu miris.
- Fry the onions and chillies for about 2 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and the salted bitter gourd and carrot pieces.
- Cook for about 10 mins, on low heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add ½ tsp of crushed chillies. Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Just before removing from heat, add ½ tsp sugar and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.