The other breakfast treat that my mother’s friend had brought this morning was paal puttu. I have actually had a few different versions of this over the past decade. Surprisingly, this is the first dish from the northern region of Sri Lanka that I have had which my mother hadn’t either heard of or tried until I described it to her.
Time taken: 30 mins
Serves 2 or 3
- Urad dal/ ulunthu flour – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Coconut milk – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Mix ¼ cup urad dal flour and ¼ cup rice flour with salt and hot water and make them into tiny balls.
- Steam the balls and keep aside.
- Heat the coconut milk, with the sugar and salt seasoning, in a pan.
- Add 2 tbsp urad dal flour to the coconut milk as it starts to boil. Stir well.
- As the sauce thickens, add the steamed balls and mix well. Remove pan from stove after a minute or two.
- Serve warm.
Recipe source: Ithayarani Jeyabalasingham.