The second recipe I will share today is also a non-vegetarian recipe that my mother recalls a relative in Vavuniya had cooked decades ago. As I am yet to receive recipes from the district of Vavuniya, I am happy to share this recipe based on my mother’s recollection of watching the dish being prepared.
Time taken: 30 – 45 mins
Serves 4 – 6 persons
- Mutton – 2 cups, chopped
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Crushed ginger and garlic – 2 tbsp
- Curry powder – 2 tbsp
- Mixed 3C (Cinnamon, cardamom, clove) spice powder – 1 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Clean and chop the mutton into pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chopped onion, crushed ginger-garlic, mixed 3C spice powder, curry powder, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add the mutton pieces to the bowl and ensure that they are well coated in the marinating mixture.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and transfer the contents of the bowl, the mutton pieces together with the chopped onion and spices, to the pan.
- Cover the pan and let the mutton cook on low heat. Every 5 to 10 mins, uncover the pan and flip the pieces to the other side.
- Continue to cook until the mutton is well cooked and lightly browned throughout. The roasting takes about 30 to 40 mins.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.