I will be sharing two delicious vegan recipes, of my mother today, that are semolina (ravai) based. The first recipe is uppuma, a typical simple and nutritious breakfast dish.
Time taken: 10 mins
- Semolina – 1/3 cup, slightly roasted
- Water – 1 cup
- Carrot – ¼ cup, chopped
- Potato – ¼ cup, chopped
- Beans – 2, chopped
- Green chilli, chopped
- Onion – ½ , chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Freshly scraped coconut – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Sesame oil (Gingelly oil) – 3 tbsp
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan and sauté the fennel seeds, curry leaves for a minute or two.
- Add the rest of the chopped vegetables to the pan and continue to sauté for about 5 mins.
- Add a cup of water and salt to taste to the pan.
- When the water starts boiling, add the semolina and stir until it starts coming together.
- Before removing from heat, the freshly scraped coconut can be optionally added.
- Mix well and serve hot.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.