This omelette and omelette curry are recipes of my grandmother’s, as remembered by my mother.
Time taken: 6 – 7 mins
- Eggs – 2
- Onion – ¼
- Green chilli – 1
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame oil (gingelly oil) – 1 tbsp
- Finely chop the onion and chillies.
- Whisk the two eggs. Add the salt and pepper and the chopped onion and chillies and whisk them together.
- Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a pan on low heat. Pour the egg mix in the pan and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for another 2 -3 minutes so that both sides are well-cooked and browned.
- Remove from heat and serve as is or use in omelette curry.
(b) Omelette curry
Time taken: 20 mins
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion – ½ , chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Tamarind extract – ¼ cup
- Coconut milk – ½ cup
- Curry powder – 2 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Cut the omelette into pieces and keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp oil in a pan and sauté the fenugreek seeds, chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind juice and cook for a few mins.
- Then add the coconut milk and curry powder and salt, to taste.
- Cook for about 6- 7 minutes till the curry comes together and gravy thickens and then add the omelette pieces. Cook for a minute or two before removing from heat.
- Serve with rice or pittu.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.