The last egg based recipe for today is my mother’s recipe for her delicious butter cake. My mother has used vegetable oil margarine instead of butter for a while now. Ingredients can be scaled down according to requirement. This was a large cake and I only managed to get a photo of the last two pieces before they too vanished.
Butter/ Margarine cake
Time taken: 40 – 45 mins
Makes around 24 pieces
- Butter or vegetable oil margarine – 1 cup
- Eggs – 4
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 1 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
For the butter cream:
- Butter or vegetable oil margarine – ¼ cup
- Icing sugar – ¾ cup
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Vanilla – ½ tsp
- Sift the wheat flour and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Whisk the sugar and margarine together in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Whisk lightly the eggs. Add the whisked eggs to the sugar and margarine bowl and continue to whisk.
- Gradually add the sifted wheat flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients bowl and stir them together.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking tray.
- Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 140⁰C/284⁰F.
- Let the cake cool while you make the butter cream.
- Whisk together the butter cream ingredients – butter/ margarine, icing sugar, lime juice and vanilla – and then spread the cream evenly over the cake.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.