The second recipe that I would like to share today is one of my mother’s ash plantain recipes.
Ash plantain curry
Time taken: 35 mins
- Ash plantain – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Onion – ½
- Green chilli or capsicum – 1
- Ginger – 1”
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp, or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Low fat oil – 1 tsp
- First, cook the ash plantain, with skin, in water for 15 minutes. Leaving the skin on during boiling will prevent the plantain from turning from white to ash.
- Once cooked, remove the plantain from the water and peel. Chop up the plaintain into small pieces and sprinkle some salt over them and keep aside.
- Chop up the tomato, onion and green chilli.
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan and sauté the chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli with the fenugreek seeds.
- Add the chopped tomato pieces to the pan and continue to sauté for a few more minutes before adding the salted, chopped up pieces of ash plantain.
- Add ½ cup of water to the pan and adjust salt. Add 1 tsp crushed chillies and ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
- Cook the curry till it comes together and the liquid nearly dries up.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.