Today, I thought of sharing two of my mother’s chutney recipes.
Time taken: 20 mins
- Mango – 1, unripe
- Onion – ¼, chopped
- Malu miris/ capsicum – 1, chopped
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Crushed chillies – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp (optional – best to add, if you want to keep chutney for some days)
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Low fat oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the mango, de-seed and chop up the mango with the skin into 1 inch slices.
- Marinate the chopped up mango pieces with salt and turmeric. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the mustard and fennel seeds. As they start to splutter, add the chopped onion and malu miris.
- After a few minutes of frying or once the onions become pinkish, add the marinated pieces of mango and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 mins.
- Remove cover and stir.
- Add 1 tsp of crushed chillies to the pan. Mix well and cover and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove cover again and this time, add 1 tbsp of sugar and the optional 1 tsp vinegar.
- Mix well and cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix well before transferring to the serving bowl.
Recipe source: Raji Thillainathan.